We define a LocAle as one which is brewed within a 15 mile radius of a pubs front door.
This makes Milton and Cambridge Moonshine beers LocAles for nearly all our pubs,
Potton and Buntingford likewise for many of them and Nethergate for
those in the south-east of our area. Devils Dyke beers are also LocAles
at their only current regular outlet, the Dykes End at Reach.
The pity is that loads of our local pubs would love to sell LocAle
but cant do so because theyre tied either to a brewery like
Greene King or a pub company such as Punch or Enterprise,
none of whom make these beers available to their licensees.
In this context we greatly applaud Elgoods of Wisbech which has
permitted its only pub in our area, the Waggon and Horses Milton,
to stock a beer from the Milton Brewery down the road.
This will make the Waggon an even more attractive place
to visit so in the long term customers, licensee and pub-owner will all benefit,
not to mention the environment and local economy.
We call on the other breweries and pubcos to adopt a similarly enlightened attitude
so that the current list of pubs selling LocAles (below) can quickly grow:
(as of January 2010)
- ADC Theatre Bar two Milton beers.
- Arts Picturehouse Bar house beer (Reel Ale) Cambridge Moonshine.
- Bacchanalia off-licenses in Mill Road and Victoria Road -
Cambridge Moonshine in bottles and often has Milton and Moonshine on draught
- Cambridge Blue often has a LocAle
- Cambridge Chop House Milton
- Carlton often has a LocAle
- Devonshire Arms - Milton
- Elm Tree often has Milton or other LocAle
- Empress Milton Pegasus semi-permanent and sometimes another
- Fleur Milton
- Kingston Arms usually has a LocAle
- Maypole Milton (including Minotaur Mild)
- Regent Hotel has sold bottled Kilderkin Double from Impington
though current status of brewery in doubt
- Radegund Milton
- Ranch - Milton
- St Johns Chop House - Milton
- Balsham Black Bull Nethergate
- Barrington Royal Oak Potton Shannon IPA
- Dry Drayton Black Horse Milton and sometimes others
- Grantchester Green Man Loc-Ale handpump
- Great Wilbraham Carpenters Arms Cambridge Moonshine and Buntingford
- Longstowe Red House often has Potton
- Linton Crown Nethergate
- Little Wilbraham Hole in the Wall sometimes has a LocAle e.g. Moonshine
- Madingley Three Horseshoes sometimes has a LocAle
- Melbourn Black Horse usually has Buntingford
- Milton Waggon and Horses a Milton beer
- Reach Dykes End two Devils Dyke beers
- Stow-cum-Quy, Quy Mill usually has a LocAle