- Quy Mill Hotel, Stow-cum-Quy:
- "The beer here has always been some of the best in the area".
- Zebra, Cambridge:
- "I don't like Greene King IPA but enjoyed it here, as well as their Ale Fresco - both in excellent condition".
- Plough, Coton:
- "Best London Pride outside West London and an interesting changing guest ale, beautifully kept by new owners".
- Prince Regent, Cambridge:
- "The beer here is much better than it used to be and service and food excellent too" (I had a superb pint of Reverend James here recently - Ed).
- Kings Head, Fen Ditton:
- "One real ale on at all times - generally GK IPA but with planned guests of Adnams and Spitfire. Having one ale with a good turnover, kept in excellent condition, ensures a delicious drop at all times. The pub is very much the village local with good banter at the bar".
- Jolly Millers, Cottenham:
- "Now run by two ex-teachers who have embraced the culture and studied all aspects of the trade. The beer, at least two real ales, is excellent and good food is also available. Their charm and personality make for a very enjoyable environment. "Our correspondent is also very taken with the lunchtime barmaid!
- Rupert Brooke, Grantchester:
- "Although there were just the three ales on, the Harveys was the best pint of bitter I've ever had. While I was there the Adnams Broadside ran out and although it was a busy time the bartender cleaned the line before putting on Bombardier. I think you should inform your readers of such a professionally run pub. It appears to cater for all markets from the Pint of Bitter man to the businessman with a bottle of wine.
Most of these pubs had certainly dropped off the Branch's radar so it's great to be alerted to such rising stars, all of which will be thoroughly checked out as we survey for the next Guide. And its never too late to tell us of any other corking pubs which we seem to be neglecting.
We also received recommendations to delete certain pubs from our long list but we'll spare the blushes of the establishments concerned (whilst taking full account of the comments).